The Bureau of Field Operations is comprised of sworn personnel - both troopers and motor carrier inspectors. Their primary responsibility is the regulation of traffic and the prevention of highway crashes. Enforcement and inspection activities are defined by Wisconsin statutes.
- Enforces criminal and traffic laws
- Conducts criminal highway interdiction programs
- Oversees motor carrier safety and weight facilities (SWEFs)
- Inspects and regulates motor carriers, school buses and ambulances
- Assists local law enforcement agencies with traffic safety, civil disturbances and disasters