The Wisconsin State Patrol Air Support Unit (ASU) provides essential law enforcement and emergency aviation services to all Wisconsin public safety providers while enhancing traffic highway safety and homeland security for citizens and visitors.
Fixed Wing Aircraft
Aircraft crews assist with traffic assessment and control, vehicle and pedestrian evacuation, site/ area security, detection and monitoring of actual or potential criminal and terrorist activity, search and locate efforts for missing/abducted persons, and status/damage assessments during and after critical incidents, crises or other emergencies or planned events requiring law enforcement/security aircraft resources for extended operations.
- Conduct speed enforcement, patrol operations, and traffic surveillance
- Conduct criminal activity evidence gathering and surveillance
- Conduct air reconnaissance/security operations
- Obtain air photography and video
- Assist with search and locate missions
- Assist with damage assessment, planning, critiquing, and surveying
- Assist on-scene incident commanders during unusual occurrences, public demonstrations, natural or man-made disasters and other special events
Unmanned Aircraft Systems
The WSP unmanned aircraft fleet is strategically positioned throughout the state to respond rapidly and effectively. These unmanned aircraft are available to provide low-altitude aerial support during emergency and non-emergency missions. Unmanned aircraft pilots receive regular ground and flight training designed for the complex demands inherent in public safety operational missions.
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certified pilots
- Conduct low-altitude aerial support
- Obtain high-definition geo-referenced air photographs and video
- Provide live streaming during emergency and non-emergency situations